‘’ A baby is born in the world every three seconds’’
Fascinating Facts about babies
- A baby cannot taste salt until it is 4 months old. The delay may be related to the development of kidneys, which start to process sodium at about that age.l
- In medieval Europe, leeches were commonly used to treat babies’ illnesses. For example, leeches were placed on a baby’s windpipe for croup. Additionally, teething babies were commonly purged or bled.l
- In China, a baby is born with a birth defect every 30 minutes. Birth defects in that country have increased nearly 40% since 2001.h
- A baby’s eyes are 75% of their adult size, but its vision is around 20/400. By six months, a baby’s vision should reach 20/20.j
- Newborns are more likely to turn their head to the right than to the left.j
- The inner ear is the only sense organ to develop fully before birth. It reaches its adult size by the middle of pregnancy.e
- A baby has around 10,000 taste buds, far more than adults. They are not just on the tongue but also on the sides, back, and roof of the mouth. Eventually these extra taste buds disappear.e
- A newborn urinates about every 20 minutes and then roughly every hour at 6 months.l
- Human babies are the only primates who smile at their parents.l
- A baby is born in the world every three seconds.e
- In 1978, the first baby was born in Antarctica: Emilio Marcos Palma.f
e “Fascinating Baby Brains.” Live Science. Accessed: June 14, 2011.
f “First Year of Your Baby.” Baby Names Now. June 8, 2004. Accessed: August 1, 2011.
h Hu, Yinan. “Baby Born with Birth Defects Every 30 Seconds.” China Daily. October 30, 2007. Accessed: June 14, 2011.
j Margulis, Jennifer. 2005. Why Babies Do That: Baffling Baby Behavior Explained. Minocqua, WI: Willow Creek Press.
l O’Hara, Georgina. 1989. The World of the Baby: A Celebration of Infancy through the Ages. New York, NY: Doubleday.